In January of 2017, police responded to a report that a teenager in a home was making suicidal comments on social media. You may remember this story because it happened in nearby Overland Park. Law enforcement officers have a tough job and are usually ready to respond to most situations, but what happened next has left many people wondering what went wrong.
17-year-old John Albers was shot and killed that day. Officers say that he was backing a minivan out of the garage towards an officer. That officer allegedly told the teen to stop the vehicle before he fired 13 shots into the van. Albers was killed on scene.
The officer resigned after the shooting but prosecutors did not file charges. Sheila Albers, John’s mother filed a wrongful death lawsuit and was awarded $2.3 million in a settlement. She says “there is nothing that can ever excuse such unreasonable use of force.”
At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., we understand that there are many reasons that a surviving family member may need to seek out a Kansas City wrongful death attorney. If you need us, we are ready to help.
Other Wrongful Death Cases
Wrongful death cases can be brought by surviving family members or those responsible for the deceased’s estate against the person, group, agency, or company they believe was responsible for the death. We want to cover some of the common ways in which these cases arise, but please speak with a qualified attorney about your particular case.
- Vehicle accidents – there were more than 800 fatal vehicle crashes during Missouri’s latest reporting year. While not all of them were due to negligence, many were caused by drunk, distracted, or reckless drivers.
- Police Actions – we know that there are times when law enforcement personnel use more force than necessary, as was the case above. When this happens, those responsible need to be held accountable.
- Medical errors –medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the US and they occur in a variety of ways: medication errors, misdiagnosis, surgical mistakes, and more.
- Faulty products – the government website that tracks current recalls shows us that there are hundreds of products on the market that can cause harm to consumers.
- Workplace accidents – while most workplace accidents are not fatal, sometimes extreme negligence on the part of coworkers or employers ends up causing someone to lose their lives.
- Slip and fall incidents – these occur when property owners or their employees do not properly secure and maintain their premises.
Do You Have Options?
We know this is a difficult time for you and your family. At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., let us help alleviate some of the stress. When we take your case, we will begin the process of investigating what happened so we can chart a path forward. It is vital for your family to be fairly compensated if the negligence of another person has taken the life of your loved one. We will work diligently to secure:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income and benefits
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages
If you need a Kansas City wrongful death attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 816-941-8949.