Defective Parts Play A Role In Many Truck Accidents
Large trucks are prevalent on Missouri highways. In most cases, these trucks are safe to operate. However, defective truck parts can lead to catastrophic accidents on the roadways. It only takes one part of a commercial truck to cause vehicle failure. At Mayer & Associates, P.C., we are ready to help if you or a loved one is harmed in a truck crash. Let us investigate what happened, so we can secure the compensation you need.
How A Truck Part Can Cause Harm
There are plenty of large trucks on the roadways of Missouri. When we talk about large trucks, we mean commercial vehicles such as:
- Delivery trucks
- Garbage trucks
- Dump trucks
- Construction vehicles
In most instances, operators of these vehicles are required to have a commercial driver’s license and specific training from a company. When these trucks are involved in a crash, there are often serious injuries. Many truck accidents are caused by a defective part on a large truck. Due to the size and weight of these vehicles, a single defective part can lead to the driver losing control of the truck.
Some of the parts that are most often defective include:
- Brakes – Failure or misalignment of the brakes are a common cause of truck accidents. The brakes could have been faulty from the manufacturer, installed incorrectly, or not properly and regularly inspected. Brake systems also include an array of hoses and lines.
- Tires – Tires must be regularly inspected and maintained to ensure they are treated and inflated properly. Tires can affect the handling and stability of the truck.
- Hydraulic issues – Malfunctions of any hydraulic system in a truck can lead to the driver losing control of the vehicle.
- Steering problems – Defective steering can be the result of a bad ball joint or any part of the steering column.
These are just some examples of parts that can affect truck safety. In these cases, it can be difficult to determine who is liable – the part manufacturer, the truck company, a maintenance crew, etc.
Now Is The Time To Act
If you or someone you love has been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident, seek legal assistance immediately. The team at Mayer & Associates, P.C., is ready to step in and get to work on your behalf. We will investigate what caused the crash and work to determine if a part was defective. Our goal is to secure:
- Coverage of your medical expenses related to the crash
- Recovery of lost wages if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the company or manufacturer