Understanding Your Rights When Hospital Errors Occur
You should never have to worry about being injured when you go to the hospital. However, there are times when the careless or negligent actions of a medical professional can cause you harm. The team at Mayer & Associates, P.C., is here to help if that has happened to you or a loved one. We will investigate your case and work to secure the compensation you deserve. When you need a hospital error attorney in Kansas City, call us today so we can get to work.
What Can Happen In Hospitals?
Johns Hopkins researchers have said that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S. and that they cause anywhere from 200,000 to 400,000 deaths each year. Millions more are injured and have to live with the consequences of the mistake.
In many cases, these medical errors happen in the one place patients should be able to trust – inside the hospital.
Hospitals are busy places, and anytime a doctor or nurse does not uphold an adequate standard of care for patients, someone will be harmed. Hospital errors often arise due to:
- Hospital overcrowding
- Understaffing of nurses and doctors
- The pressure to discharge patients to make room for other patients
Some of the most common errors that take place in hospitals include:
- Health care-acquired infections – Some studies show that approximately one in every 25 hospital patients contract an infection. This is often due to hospital staff failing to follow infection control protocols, as well as failure to monitor high-risk patients (those with open wounds, recent surgeries, etc.).
- Misdiagnosis or a missed diagnosis – Doctors can fail to properly diagnose patients or discharge them without a diagnosis at all. This is often due to a failure to properly perform patient assessments.
- Medication mistakes – When a hospital patient does not receive their medication, receives the wrong medication or gets the wrong dosage of a medication, they can become seriously ill.
- Surgical mistakes – There are certain surgical events that should never happen, including operating on the wrong patient or body part, anesthesia mistakes, objects being left inside patients, etc.
This is not a complete list of mistakes that can occur in the hospital. In many cases, it is not a single individual at fault, but rather a systemic issue caused by overall hospital management.
- Agencies and businesses can be held responsible for the mistakes made as well
Our Team Is Ready To Help You Through This
Do not hesitate to seek legal assistance if you or a loved one has been injured or become ill due to the negligence of the hospital staff. The knowledgeable and experienced team at Mayer & Associates, P.C., is ready to get to work investigating your claims. Our goal is to secure compensation for the following:
- Compensation for all medical expenses related to the error(s)
- Coverage of lost income and benefits if you cannot work
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages against the health care provider or hospital