What If You Have Problems Getting Workers’ Comp Coverage?
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers Compensation
  4.  » What If You Have Problems Getting Workers’ Comp Coverage?

What If You Have Problems Getting Workers’ Comp Coverage?

by | Mar 23, 2019 | Workers Compensation

When you have a job, you should be able to expect prompt medical care if you are injured. Further, you should not have to worry about any medical expenses due to a work injury along with coverage of your wages if you miss days of work. However, we know that there are times when workers in Missouri do not receive their rightful coverage because they are denied a workers’ compensation claim.

At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., we know that you depend on your job to support yourself and your family. A work injury should not mean that you are put into financial jeopardy. Today, we want to go over the state law with you and talk about how we can help. When you need a Kansas City workers compensation attorney, call us today.

What The Law Says

Work injuries are a reality in Missouri. For the latest reporting year, there were 50,600 nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses, with sprains, strains, and tears accounting for the majority of cases.

When we turn to the Missouri Division of Workers’ Compensation for answers, we learn about the rights of injured workers. State law required most employers to carry workers’ compensation insurance which pays for treatment of workplace injuries as well as lost time benefits.

Do you work for an employer with five or more employees (less if a construction company)?

If you do, then you should know that your employer is required to carry insurance. State law suggests that injured workers take the following steps following an injury:

  • Report the injury immediately. Failure to report an injury within 30 days of an incident or 30 days from a diagnosis could jeopardize insurance coverage. We suggest that you report an injury as soon as it happens to that your employer can file a report with the insurance company.
  • Seek medical treatment for your injury and let your employer know. You may be asked to seek treatment from a doctor chosen by your employer.

What Should Be Covered?

Through workers’ compensation, you should get coverage for all medical expenses related to the work injury. For lost wages, you are not entitled to receive 100% of your wages. If your injury keeps you from returning to work per doctor’s orders, you may receive temporary total disability. In this case, you will receive two-thirds of your regular wages for the time you are out of work.

How We Can Help

If you have been denied a workers’ compensation claim or fired due to your workplace injury, you should seek legal assistance. At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., our knowledgeable and experienced team will work to investigate your case and move to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:

  • Coverage of your medical expenses
  • Lost wages and benefits
  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Possible punitive damages

We want to make sure you are treated fairly. If you need a Kansas City workers compensation attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 816-941-8949