When a 53-year-old driver tried to pass a van the other day on Northeast Parvin Road, he ended up sideswiping it. This caused him to lose control of his SUV, which then flew off of the curvy roadway. It careened down a hill and struck several trees and came to rest in the Colonial Square yard.
Inside of the van was a 4-year-old girl. She was ejected from the vehicle and died from her injuries. What makes this accident stand out is that we have learned city leaders have known about other accidents that have occurred along this section of Pavin Road. Neighbors in the area of this latest crash say they think a guardrail would have prevented the girl’s death.
The first phase of planned upgrades for Pavin Road are not scheduled until 2021, but city leaders say they are considering the guard rail after this latest incident. The question needs to be raised – could the city be held liable for not ensuring the roadways are safe?
At Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C., we know that there are many ways in which the negligence of other people can cause a fatality. If you have lost a loved one and you believe another person or group is to blame, contact a wrongful death lawyer Kansas City today.
What Can Happen
In the story above, we do not know whether or not the city’s failure to put up a guardrail will lead to a wrongful death lawsuit. If we were asked to look into the case, there are many things that need to be examined before a determination could be made about whether or not to move forward. We do often see companies and government agencies taking shortcuts. This can lead to serious harm to citizens.
Below, we will go over a few other ways in which wrongful death cases commonly arise but know that this is not a complete list. Always speak with a qualified attorney about your particular case.
- Workplace Accidents – Employers who do not maintain a safe working environment or provide proper training should be held accountable if a worker is killed.
- Product Liability – Thousands of products are recalled each year because they could potentially harm consumers. Often, faulty products cause fatalities.
- Medical Mistakes – Medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States. They occur when a healthcare professional is careless or reckless in their duties.
- Vehicle Accidents – In the state of Missouri, there were over 150,000 total crashes for the latest reporting year. 923 people were killed, many of them as a result of negligent driving (DUI, distracted driver, speeding, etc.).
What You Can Do
While we hope you never have to experience the loss of a loved one, we know that there are times when another person’s negligence can cause a fatality. Unfortunately, they are not always held accountable. If you need a Kansas City wrongful death attorney or need to speak with someone about your case, contact Mayer & Rosenberg, P.C.
You can count on us to patiently assess your case and chart a path forward. We will work to secure compensation for:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income and benefits
- Loss of companionship
- Punitive damages